However, when the city walls were constructed it was made illegal to build outside them, inhibiting expansion of the city.
Around this time, the city was made a county corporate and became the seat of one of the most densely populated and prosperous counties of England. Hand-in-hand with the wool industry, this key religious centre experienced a Reformation significantly different to other parts of England.
From the Middle Ages until the Industrial Revolution, Norwich was the largest city in England after London, and one of the most important.
This area extends beyond the city boundary, with extensive suburban areas on the western, northern and eastern sides, including Costessey, Taverham, Hellesdon, Bowthorpe, Old Catton, Sprowston and Thorpe St Andrew.
William acquired the status of martyr and was subsequently canonised.
Pilgrims made offerings to a shrine at the Cathedral (largely finished by 1140) up to the 16th century, but the records suggest there were few of them. In February 1190, all the Jews of Norwich were massacred except for a few who found refuge in the castle.
Westwic (at Norwich-over-the-Water) and the secondary settlement at Thorpe.
According to a local rhyme, the demise of Venta Icenorum led to the development of Norwich: "Caistor was a city when Norwich was none, Norwich was built of Caistor stone." There are two suggested models of development for Norwich.
Unlike popular challenges elsewhere in the Tudor period, it appears to have been Protestant in nature.
For several weeks Kett's rebels camped outside Norwich on Mousehold Heath and took control of the city, with the support of many of its poorer inhabitants.
Quern stones and other artefacts from Scandinavia and the Rhineland have been found during excavations in Norwich city centre. The Normans established a new focus of settlement around the Castle and the area to the west of it: this became known as the "New" or "French" borough, centred on the Normans' own market place which survives to the present day as Norwich Market.
In 1096, Herbert de Losinga, Bishop of Thetford, began construction of Norwich Cathedral.
The chief building material for the Cathedral was limestone, imported from Caen in Normandy.