However, the village which consisted of El Paso and the surrounding area remained essentially a self-governed community with both representatives of the Mexican and Texan government negotiating for control until Texas irrevocably took control in 1846.During this interregnum, 1836–1848, Americans nonetheless continued to settle the region.
Fort Bliss is one of the largest military complexes of the United States Army and the largest training area in the United States. The evidence suggests 10,000 to 12,000 years of human habitation.
Also headquartered in El Paso are the DEA domestic field division 7, El Paso Intelligence Center, Joint Task Force North, U. The earliest known cultures in the region were maize farmers.
The Texas Revolution (1836) was generally not felt in the region, as the American population was small; not being more than 10% of the population.
However, the region was claimed by Texas as part of the treaty signed with Mexico and numerous attempts were made by Texas to bolster these claims.
After the Civil War's conclusion, the town's population began to grow as Texans continued to move into the villages and soon became the majority. Frederick Russell Burnham, the celebrated scout, was put in charge of a 250 private security detail hired by John Hays Hammond, who in addition to owning large investments in Mexico was a close friend of Taft from Yale and a U. By 1910, the overwhelming number of people in the city were Americans creating a settled environment.
El Paso itself, incorporated in 1873, encompassed the small area communities that had developed along the river. However, this period was short lived as the Mexican Revolution greatly impacted the city, bringing an influx of refugees – and capital – to the bustling boom town.
A year later, pioneer Anson Mills completed his plan of the town, calling it El Paso.
However, the various communities never totalled more than several hundred residents with Hispanics and Americans holding an equal percentage of the population.
Given the reclamations of the Texas Republic that wanted a chunk of the Santa Fe trade, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo effectively made the settlements on the north bank of the river a formal American settlement, separate from Old El Paso del Norte on the Mexican side.