The original Territorial University building was torn down in 1908, and its former site now houses the Fairmont Olympic Hotel.
The sole-surviving remnants of Washington's first building are four 24-foot (7.3 m), white, hand-fluted cedar, Ionic columns. Meany, one of the University's first graduates and former head of its history department. Condon, dubbed the columns as "Loyalty," "Industry," "Faith", and "Efficiency", or "LIFE." The columns now stand in the Sylvan Grove Theater.
The University Regents tried and failed to sell the old campus, eventually settling with leasing the area.
This would later become one of the University's most valuable pieces of real estate in modern-day Seattle, generating millions in annual revenue with what is now called the Metropolitan Tract.
Regardless, subsequent post-war periods were times of dramatic growth for the University.
The period between the wars saw a significant expansion on the upper campus.
The plan was later incorporated into the overall campus master plan, permanently affecting the campus layout.
Both World Wars brought the military to campus, with certain facilities temporarily loaned to the federal government.
Organizers of the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition eyed the still largely undeveloped campus as a prime setting for their world's fair.
They came to an agreement with Washington's Board of Regents that allowed them to use the campus grounds for the exposition.
Washington successfully awarded its first graduate Clara Antoinette Mc Carty Wilt in 1876, with a bachelor's degree in science.
By the time Washington State entered the Union in 1889, both Seattle and the University had grown substantially.
Washington's total undergraduate enrollment increased from 30 to nearly 300 students, and the campus's relative isolation in downtown Seattle faced encroaching development.